Learning Plan 6-Personal space experiment



Experiment:

At a meal, encroach on your friend's personal space by very gradually moving your water glass or coffee cup into their space, or moving the salt shaker closer to their plate than normal.


What happened during the experiment:

Our family sat down for supper and I began this experiment. I chose to use my youngest daughter. First, I began by moving my chair closer than usual to her. She looked at me a bit odd, but went back to eating. Then, I picked up my glass to take a drink and set it down next to her plate. Again, an odd look from her and went back to eating. Next, I grabbed the salt and pepper to season my food and then set them down right next to her plate. Finally, she asked me what I was doing and to move the items away from her plate.

I feel that this is very similar to what was talked about during our reading regarding the spatial zones. I moved closer to her (within the 1.5') which would be intimate space. She was feeling a bit smothered. She also has anxiety, so I am sure that the invasion of personal boundaries made her a bit nervous when I crossed them. This was very similar to the video of the Edward Hall's Four Spatial Zones that we watched for this lesson.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Plan 7-Conflict

Introduction to inventor Walter Diemer

Who Are You?