Learning Plan 5-Listening

Option 2:

After review of Julian Treasure, TED talk video, I feel he has made some good points. I agree with his message that we need to practice conscious listening. I also agree that our society seems to always be in a rush to move on to the next thing. So, we need to take a step back and be in the moment. His message reminded me quite a bit about mindfulness practice. I also feel that active listening is a very intentional act and something that needs practice daily.

The exercise that I practiced out of the five suggested was to sit in silence. It is something that I have done in the past especially when the noise of life gets too chaotic. During the school year, I will often come home after dropping the kids off at school and sit in the quiet with my coffee. I will also step outside in the morning and enjoy nature. It is amazing how the silence can be uncomfortable at first, but after a few times of practicing this, I looked forward to these moments in my day.

I feel this exercise helps improve my life because it shows me how important it is to actively listen. The skill of active listening takes practice, but it will improve my communication with my family and my co-workers. Active listening will also help build relationships because people can count on me to be interested in what they have to say. They will feel supported and understood. I also believe that being an active listener will help me develop attention to detail that many employers are looking for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Plan 7-Conflict

Introduction to inventor Walter Diemer

Who Are You?