Who Are You?

Learning Plan 3-Understanding Yourself

The 5 things that I am most proud of relating to myself would be:

1. Ability to preserver
2. Dedication to my education and family
3. Patience
4. Being a parent
5. Being non-traditional student

Of the five things listed above, the one I do the best would be my ability to be patient. It was difficult to pick one of the five because all the those listed are of significance in this season of my life. I believe patience is the one I do the best because it is something that I have practiced daily with my children, with my husband, within my job, and with myself. The ability to be patient has proven to open a new door for me when I thought all doors were closed.

The 5 things that I believe in are:

1. continued education
2. advocacy for children in the educational system (special needs, behavior challenges, bullying)
3. self-reflection
4. self care
5. growth mindset

My belief of taking time for self care is the most important to me in this season of life. I feel that if I do not take the time to care for myself I will not be able to show up as my best self when it comes to continuing my education, advocating for children, continuing to strive for a growth mindset, and making room for self reflection. I feel that especially for women, we take care of others before ourselves, so it is important to be diligent at carving out time each day to do something just for me. It can be very small such as driving through Starbucks and getting a favorite beverage.

Finally, I feel that there are quite a few social comparison and social judgments that factor into my self-concept. As a child, I was bullied and while this was several years ago it still has an impact on my perceptions of others. I find that I struggle with trusting others quite a bit, especially women because girls were the individuals that bullied me. I also find that I am very hyper vigilant when it comes to students bullying other students. I have also been told that I am an empath, which means that I can feel what others are feeling. This has really affected my self-concept in both positive and negative ways especially working in the public school system with special needs children. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Plan 7-Conflict

Introduction to inventor Walter Diemer